This is a rather unusual stuffed bhindi that I came across. Most of us have grown up by listening to the quotes on how Bhindi contributes to the development of brain in kids and pretty obsessed with this, I land up preparing them atleast once a week. Now the challenging part here is, it calls for more variety of this vegetable week on week . I will be posting later few more varieties we do at home in due course.Back to Bharwa Bhindi which is my menu for today. Though , I had planned to make them for lunch, they were eaten up as snacks by brunch !Such is the reception it gets from the kids! However, I had the stuffing and ladies finger handy, I could make more for lunch .
You have to try them to know what I meant !Since my recipes are easy to do, so don’t get carried by the picture which gives a more elaborate look…
Cooking time : 25 minutes (Maximum)
Bhindi or ladies finger : 500 gms
Red Chilli Powder : 1 tbsp
Jeera or Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Coriander (Dhania)powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt : To taste
Oil : to cook
1.Slit the Ladies finger length wise.The seeds in ladiesfinger are not much,so don’t bother about the harmless ones that you see in.
2. Heat a pan.Add oil.Put in the Jeera and saute. Add grated onion.
3.Now add the coriander and chilli powder.Followed by grated tomato.Saute well
4. Add salt to taste. Cook till the onion and tomato part away with the raw taste.
5. Adding pinch of Garam masala is optional. I avoided them today. However,allow this mix to cool at room temperature.
6. Now Slit the ladies finger lengthwise 3/4 th only. Leave same length unslit at both ends as this will help the ladies finger to hold the filling of the cooked masala that we fill in next.
7. Hold and Press the ladies finger softly and properly to close it. Don’t bother if it does not. It is not meant to ,anyway. We just want the masala to stay tight in .
8. Again heat oil in a pan. Saute with jeera. Add this filled ladies finger together into the pan and reduce the heat.
9. Do not keep mixing or moving the ladies finger . They tend to get offended and we might land up having the ladies finger and the masala’s falling apart.
10. We know its done when the Ladies finger starts losing the sticky texture and also start to tan at the bottom, gently turn them upside down.
11. Allow it to cook the other side as well.
12. Remove them and serve hot with Methi Paratha or Phulka ( roti)