Bisibela bhat has been associated with special occasions in our house. I have deliberately avoided making that often to retain the sanctity of taste that is so unique.I have tasted a lot number of variations in Bisibela Bath in different corners of the Country.
What I make is a spicier version as for me, the tangy hot flavor with the extra spice evokes is what makes it so special. Thankfully, my family agree to this,specially the kids making it all the more easier.
While I was in Bangalore, I liked the garnishing with Khara boondi.However,Bisibela Bhat in Chennai are served with Applam.
I have always believed -there is no perfect “recipe” defined , the way you like is perfect for you!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
1 cup onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup vegetable, chopped and boiled (carrots, potatoes, peas and beans)
1 1/2 cup raw rice
1/2 cup toor dal /Lenthil
Tamarind Size of a small lime
1 big tomato, chopped
4 green chilli, finely chopped
1 inch (25mm) of ginger, chopped
1 tsp of mustard seeds
1 tsp of cumin seeds (jeera)
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp corainder powder (dhania)
2 tsp sambar powder
1 tsp of bisibela bhat powder (optional)
pinch of tumeric powder
6-8 curry leaves
4-5 piece of drumstick
1 cup of water
1 tbsp of ghee
1. Wash rice and dal. Place in the containers with 2 1/2 cups of water, a pinch of turmeric powder . Cook in a pressure cooker till the rice and dal is done.
2. Soak tamarind in a little water and extract juice.
3. Heat little ghee, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
4. When the mustard seeds and cumin seeds crackles add curry leaves, pinch of asafoetida, ginger and green chillies.
5. Add onions fry them till they are translucent.
6. Add drumstick and tomatoes and fry for few minutes.
7. Add vegetables and fry them for few more minutes.
8. Then add red chilli powder, corainder powder, tumeric powder, sambar powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
9. Add the tamarind pulp and cook for some time till the raw smell of masala is gone.
10. Add rice to the mixture and 1 cup of water. Mix well and cook it for few minutes.
11. Mix well. Remove from fire. If you like ghee, add just before serving.
12. Serve with onion raita and papad.