Serves : 4
Tuvar Dal/ Pigeon Pea – 100 gms
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1 medium
Green Chill – 2
Tamarind – 1/2 gooseberry size
Garlic – 5-6 pods deskinned
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seed – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 4-5
Dry Red Chilli – 2 ( cut into 3 parts)
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt to Taste
- In a cooker pan add washed dal , tomato, onion, green chilli , 2 garlic pods,turmeric , tamarind and 1 cup water. Allow to cook for 3 whistles
- Remove the pan from cooker and allow to cool.
- Grind it and remove in the pan back
- Add 2 cups of water more. You can alter the amount of water depending on the consistency you would like to keep.
- Mix well and keep in on low flame.
- In the meantime, for the saute take a pan with 1 tsp oil . Once it heats add the Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds in same order.
- Crush the garlic pods and when the seeds splutter add the garlic pods, curry leaves and dry red chill.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with Rice.
- The Leftovers can be used for Idli and Dosa also.