Lemon Rice has been a comfort food, specially when kids have school on Saturday and I want to have the weekend feel… This needs no planning, just cook the rice while you prepare the basic saute stuff and mix them . As a child I remember carrying Lemon rice while on long train journeys. Mom used to pack small disposable boxes and handover to each one of us. So, comfortably sitting by the window of the train, it used to be a so fun watching the roads , green lustrous field and people pass by while we eat our box of lemon rice.Its unbeatable with dry coriander chutney and Papads. It is said that lemon delays staling of food, its cleanser and a rather strong start to the day and so that what makes it a favorite !
Though you can cook a ideal lemon rice with Ponni rice ( a rice variety that is popular in Tamil Nadu , If you are staying in the Northern Parts , you have now access to the south Indian store where you can get this rice. It can be ideally used for all SouthIndian recipes like Sambhar, rasam etc..) however if you don’t have access , feel free to use any non aromatic rice, this is just to retain the aroma of lemon intact..Here’s how I make it the easier way..
Lemon rice is a South Indian dinner favorite!
Serves : 2
Rice – 2 Cup
Lemon – 1 small size
Asafoetida- a pinch
Curry leaves – 5-6
Dry Whole Red Chilli – 2
Channa Dal/ broken chick peas – 1 tbsp
Groundnut – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes, this helps to remove the stickiness of the rice when cooked.
- Steam it in cooker or add 2 1/2 cup water with some salt and cook in a open container until water evaporates ( It should take 7 min approx)
- Spread it on a plate and allow to cool . This is done so that the cooked rice grains are prevented from sticking to each other
- In a pan, add 2 tsp oil. Drop the mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Keep the flame low, add red chilli , curry leaves , chana dal / broken chick peas along with groundnut , asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- When the groundnut turns golden, you will know it time to move further, so now we add the rice and sprinkle some salt ( Remember we already added salt while cooking rice)
- Remove from flame and add the juice of 3/4 lemon if you want to easy with the tanginess but I Love it spicy and tangy , so I added the entire juice of 1 lemon )
- That’s it ! Lemon Rice is ready. Serve with Papad or Chips. I also serve with Dry Coriander Chutney which I will share later in another post .