Tomato – 4
Onion – 1 Large/2 small
Dry Red Chilli – 4 Long ones
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Tamarind – 1/2 gooseberry size
Garlic – 4 deskinned pods
Salt – to taste
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Udad Dal or dehusked black lenthils – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
curry leaves – 4-5
- Heat a pan.
- Add Asofoetida, followed by dry red chilli
- Now add the onions and cook for a minute . Drop in the chopped tomatoes
- Mix in the salt and tamrind.
- Cook for 5- 7 minutes on low fire until the tomato is mashed and shrinks
- Now allow it cool. Then grind it
- For the seasoning heat oil, add mustard seeds.
- When mustard starts spluttering , add udad dal , asafoetida and curry leaves and add to the ground tomato chutney.
- Tomato chutney seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves is ready
- Goes well with Idli/Dosa or pongal